Wednesday, April 3, 2013

On Dates

If you noticed in my last post, I dated things based on HE, then gave the AD date in parentheses. In the future, I won't be adding the AD date in parentheses because I'm going to explain the dating system I do use and why I use it.

AD and BC are arbitrary systems with several problems. Now, there's no real problem with arbitrary systems, as all measurement systems are somewhat arbitrary, but I feel it's better to use one that has significance to more people. About 33% of the world's population is christian, so AD and BC have significance to them, but it has very little to the remaining 67% as we do not hold Jesus as the son of the abrahamic god. In addition, it has two major problems. First, it has no 0 date. Things go from 1 BC to AD 1. Second, when dealing with history, it makes things difficult by having both positive and negative dates within human history making things more difficult to determine the difference between dates. CE and BCE has similar problems, but fail in being undescriptive of what they actually are. They are based on the birth of Jesus, they just don't say it.

As a result, it would be better to have one that has more significance to everyone, has a 0 date, and contains all of human history in positive dates. A system that fulfils all of those requirements is the Holocene Calendar. It starts 10,000 years before the start of AD. To convert from AD to HE, one only adds 10,000 and to convert from BC to HE, one subtracts the BC date from 10,001. As such, 1 BC is 10000 HE and 1 AD is 10001 HE.

No comments:

Post a Comment