Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Beggar in the Court of Miracles

So the poor live in a Court of Miracles, but who am I? Who is this beggar in the modern day Court of Miracles? What gives me the right to say that I'm writing from this court?

Well, for starters, I wasn't always a member of the Court of Miracles. My parents are moderately wealthy. Middle Class. They allowed me to grow up in a relatively stable environment. There was rarely much worry about money. I was unsatisfied, though. They may have been rich enough to make sure I lived a comfortable life, but they were strict. Controlling. I have been rebelling against their authority for as long as I can remember. They taught me the value of freedom by taking it away. I was faced with a choice of being free(r) or being rich(er). I choose to break the chains that bind me. I moved out of my parents place. Soon after, they stopped paying for my education. Within the next few months, I proceeded to chop off any remaining financial connection I had to them. In exchange, I got poverty. I'm unemployed and poor. I live in a rented apartment with two roommates. Here I feel like I belong. Here I feel more free than I have ever felt. I'm not free, yet, but relative freedom is better than none.

Now, that explains why I'm in the Court of Miracles, but not who I am. So who am I?

I am an anarchist. I am an atheist. I am a communist. I am a nihilist. I am pansexual. I am a pacifist. I am polyamorus.

Now what does this all mean? Thank you for asking!

First, anarchism. This is a commonly misunderstood term and movement. The most common misconception is that anarchists are bomb throwing terrorists. This myth came from the Haymarket Square affair. Some peaceful protests in support of a strike happened on May 4, 1886. However, when the police came to disperse the crowd, an unknown person threw a bomb into them. The police turned violent. The perpetrator was never found, but eight anarchists were tried. The court made no pretense of them being the perpetrators. Four were hanged. One killed himself to avoid execution. Two served life in prison. One served fifteen years in jail. None of them threw the bomb. Of course, the myth has a grain of truth to it. Some anarchists subscribed to the Propaganda of the Deed. According to the Propaganda of the Deed, to ignite revolution against our rulers, we must show that they can bleed. To achieve that, proponents would commit high profile assassination. However, the Propaganda of the Deed was always done by a minority, and even the majority of those who once followed it do so no longer. The objections are both on moral grounds, it kills people, and on tactical grounds, it allows the state to portray us as the bad guys and assumes that the people are just waiting for revolution and will rise up the moment they believe they can.

But that's all about myths about anarchism. What is it actually about? A destruction of hierarchy. Ruler over ruled. Capitalist over worker. Man over woman. White over black. We support a system of decentralized direct democracy and voluntary association. In general, we tend to be opposed to capitalism, sexism, homophobia, and racism.

Second, atheism. Atheism is, in short, a lack of belief in any god. This does not, however, mean a belief in no gods. Atheism is a null hypothesis. A lack of belief, not a belief in the negative. I do view organized religion as bad as it tends to create a hierarchical system, so, as an anarchist, I oppose it.

Third, communism. As a communist, I wish to create a society where the means of production are owned communally. In addition, I seek to, as a communist, eliminate class and money. Instead of a market economy, I envision a gift economy. In a gift economy, things aren't traded for directly, like with a market or barter system. In a gift economy, people "gift" others stuff they make. This is done with the understanding that others will do the same for you. This is because, on average, what you gift to others will be equal to or greater than what you are gifted by others. Such a system would, in my opinion, most closely follow the principle of "From each according to his or her ability. To each according to his or her need."

Fourth, nihilism. Nihilism is the belief that there is no inherent meaning, purpose, or value to life and the universe. Any and all value is applied, often arbitrarily, by people. However, I contend that, rather than this being something bleak and horrible like many portray it to be, it is something beautiful. We rely on ourselves for meaning. We rely on ourselves for value. We rely on ourselves for purpose. There isn't no meaning, or purpose or value, just none of it is inherent. We find meaning. We create purpose. We see value. We do not need the universe or life to give it for us.

Fifth, pansexuality. Pansexuality is the sexual orientation that does not care about sex and gender. I do not take sex or gender into account for attraction. I do not care about sex and gender, when it comes to who I wish to have sex with or have a relationship with.

Sixth, pacifism. I am in opposition to war and violence. Both create seeds of hatred and revenge becoming self-perpetuating. That's not to say all war and/or violence is necessarily wrong, but the cases where they aren't wrong are few and far between. Generally, they are only really right when done in self defense. Violence I give more leeway for the defense of others than I do war. Just war is a faulty concept, in my opinion. War of self-defense is justifiable, but not if it turns into an aggressive war. Aiding others in war is iffy, and is almost always not justifiable. Revolution is justifiable if the people are behind it.

Seventh, polyamory. I love and date multiple people. I am currently in eight serious relationships. All of them are completely aware of the others. I give them each veto power for new partners. My partners are each in two to eight relationships themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment